Monday, January 15, 2007

Beck's Latest


Ok, I'll admit, I freaking love Beck, but his last effort while at first wildly entertaining has left me wanting more. I wonder why I liked it so much in the first place. It has all that I want in a Beck album; driving grooves, funky electronic distractions, inappropriately catchy lyrics (the kind you wonder why sing out loud), and enough diverse genres to make your head spin.

Don't get me wrong, I'll listen to this album as long as I live (much like Odelay from beginning to end). The songs I like don't sink deep enough into my oft compromised memory banks to warrant their place there. The self-titled track, "The Information", might be the best this album has to offer, but it doesn't stack up to my other favorites from every other album (excluding sea Change, because I think we all agree we don't know how that happened).

Listening to music is an inexact science, but I think this album lacks the punch of previous efforts. Of course you can throw this review out the window if you like the bootleg videos.

No comments: