Monday, January 15, 2007

Five biggest and gayest...

I'm far too lazy to craft a legit answer to my own question, or at least one that could possibly answer brannen's contribution to the Great Conversation (this is a reference not to the Western tradition, but to the increasing importance and obvious intellectual heft of this here Victorious Triads Blog). That being said
1. Red, poor form with the send-up to Sean Lennon. He's not even the best hack musician to come from the Liverpoolian blood lines.
2. Red, excellent form with the banana phone reference
3. From now on I'll post correspondence with specific bloggers in the comment section, where they belong.

A. Anywhere I Lay My Head, Tom Waits; this one's for bloggers with an innate knack for keeping time and particularly pedagogal backing bands. It's a gem of the Waits cataloge, in which he adds half a pound of gravel and at least six shots of grain alcohol to his already haggard vocal chords, then tries to scream as loud as possible into a tin-can microphone backed by some off key horns. Half-baked and half-assed genius, pure and simple.

B. Our Faces Split the Coast in Half - Broken Social Scene; Stain turned me on to this stuff. Great shit, and I like that the band is essentially a bazillion-tet, including frequent appearances by female yodeler Feist, which leads me to my next entry...

C. Mushaboom - Feist, Postal Service Remix; I'm a pussy and have been listening to a lot of stuff by chick singers lately. Also because I am a pussy, I really... really like the Postal Service. Hence, this electronic re-hashing of a simple, eccentric pop song is right up my alley, or birth canal, as it were.

D. The Funeral - Band of Horses; This band is a poor man's My Morning Jacket, who are a poor man's continuation of the Country Rock that saw its best days at the close of the 21st century. Never the less, it's a welcome addition to a genre for which I have a particulary affinity.

E. Back in the Day - Erykah Badu; Someone I've been meaning to start listening to for a long time. Finally took myself up on my own offer about three months ago. I like her voice a lot, and her band can lay down a pretty solid groove.

Stain, I'm excited to see your list. Newtonian, I don't care about yours.

2 comments:

The Midnight Lumberjack said...

Since Graduation, gross, but here it goes:

1) Albert Hammond Jr "Hard to Live (In The City)" - It's catchy hipster pop, and I love it like mayonaisse.

2) Beck "Strange Apparition" - It's got the kickass jingle-piano and sounds like a Stones outtake with Beck lyrics. A small example of my obsession with "Exile on Main Street" seeping through into my current tastes.

3) Rod Stewart "Italian Girls" - The first iTunes Store recommendation I have really enjoyed. I have no clue what year it is from, but it's classic sounding Rod with busy guitars and his four-scotches-deep growl in full force

4) Jet "Jane Jones" - An Exile-ish throwaway b-side from my pet band. I dont care what you say, they rock.

5) The Strokes and Friends "Mercy Mercy Me (The Ecology)" - What friends these guys have. Eddie Vedder rolls in with lead vocals, and Josh Homme pulls a Grateful Dead and sits in as a second drummer. It's an offbeat homage to Mr. Gaye and an ironic protest song from a band nobody thought had an opinion outside of coke or Coke.

P-Newt said...

Since Graduation:

1. Oldie but goodie: Ray Charles "What'd I'd Say Parts 1 & 2"
Without both parts you're absolutely missing out. I dance like a fool to that song every time it comes on.

2. Seu Jorge "Tive Razao"
Best Brazilian samba I can find. Saw him live this summer, one of the best atmospheres ever. He just makes you want to go to the beach and drink tropical cocktails till the sunset, then go back to your beachside resort and make love to your woman all night (is that too personal?)

3. Stevie Ray Vaughan "Life By the Drop"
I love good quick rock songs. Easy to memorize the lyrics, easy to tap your foot along. This one is amazing from a guitar genius we lost too soon.

4. Andrew Bird "Nervous Tic Motion of the Head to the Left"
Guy from Messy's neck of the woods. Loops plucking beats from his violin while playing guitar backed by a small drum kid, pretty simple structure. And if you are into lyrics about abuse of prescription drugs this is where you need to be. His evocative whistle, will make him stand out. The studio version might be slower than it needs to be, but if you ever see him live, you'll hear the magic.

5. Chris Smither "Leave the Light On"
This guy will never make it big, but I found out about him thanks to my local communist NPR radio station WNKU. Classic folk. The rhythm is provided by him tapping his foot, an important part of his live show. Folk baby, get on the bandwagon.